Siyasat.pk

Bookmark Page

Express TV Live

Rahul Dravid boosted my confidence, says Barinder Sran

Reply to topic    Siyasat pk, Pakistani Siasat Forums, Political News Home » Sports
fazalihaqkhan

Barinder Sran, the rookie left-arm pacer, selected for India's tour of Australia next year, said he admires Wasim Akram and Zaheer Khan.

Barinder Sran was in Bangalore for the Vijay Hazare Trophy when he got to know that he had been named in India's ODI squad in their limited-overs tour of Australia. Because his phone was not working, Sran got the news from his Punjab teammates.

"We were all in Bengaluru for the Vijay Hazare Trophy and when the news broke, everyone got really excited for me. There was (some) problem with my phone, so I did not know about the selection. I got to know it from my team mates," Sran, 23, told BCCI.tv.

Sran surprised stalwarts with his accuracy and pace after only one proper season of domestic cricket. He made it to the Rajasthan Royals on Rahul Dravid's insistence and was being honed for the 2016 season. With the Royals suspended for the next two editions, no one knows where his IPL career is going but spending time with some big names helped him.

"It helped a lot to be part of Rajasthan Royals. I hadn't played any cricket at the higher level then and speaking with the international cricketers in the team helped me a lot. Players like Tim Southee and James Faulkner had constant conversations with me, guiding me, telling me how things work in terms of bowling and field placements.

"Rahul sir boosted my confidence and encouraged me all the time. All this mattered a lot to me," Sran said.

India have missed a left-arm seamer since Zaheer Khan ran out of form and eventually retired and that made it mandatory for the think-tank to look far and wide for a replacement. Sran himself admits his bowling style was one of the factors that helped him create an early foothold in the Indian team.

"have had the advantage of being a left-arm pacer. There are many fast bowlers in the line right now, but being a left-arm pacer has pushed me ahead. It would be great if I can fill that void in the Indian team and lend a bit of variety to the bowling attack," he told BCCI's official website.

And when it comes to left-arm fast bowling, who better than Zaheer and Wasim Akram to look up to? Sran has already had a brief session with the Pakistani legend although he is yet to meet Zaheer.

"Once I started to play professionally and understood the game better, I came to admire Wasim Akram and Zaheer Khan. I started to watch Zak pa's bowling and Wasim Akram's videos a lot. I haven't had the chance to talk to Zak pa but I did have a brief conversation with Wasim sir for about 15-20 minutes.

"It was about how to operate with the old ball and which areas to bowl in from over and around the stumps. He said that he would teach me properly when we meet in the nets some day," Sran said.

T20 World Cup 2016
Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Siyasat pk, Pakistani Siasat Forums, Political News Home » Sports All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Share with Friends

rss feed google plus

Daily Siasi Talk Shows

Close x