Siyasat.pk

Bookmark Page

Express TV Live

Australia Foreign Affairs Minister support Same Sex Marriage

Reply to topic    Siyasat pk, Pakistani Siasat Forums, Political News Home » India & International Siyasat
fazalihaqkhan

Deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop has effectively endorsed same-sex marriage, in her strongest comments to date about the landmark social reform.
In an interview with the Ten Network's The Project, Ms Bishop, who has until now been guarded about her personal view on same-sex marriage, said she supported the government's plan to put the proposal to a plebiscite.
But the popular Foreign Affairs Minister, who only hinted at support for the reform during months of debate earlier this year, finally signalled her personal view.
"I think the Australian people should have their say. I have absolutely no concerns about it myself, but I know there a lot of people who are deeply concerned about the issue," she said.

"That's why I think a plebiscite, where the Australian people get to have a vote on it, on an issue as fundamental as this, that goes to the very composition of our community, the way we feel about each other, how we treat each other, that's the core of a plebiscite."
Ms Bishop's comments will give heart to Liberal moderates who are determined, at the very least, to see the reform enacted following a plebiscite of the Australian people but they will anger conservatives in the Liberal Party.
Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Siyasat pk, Pakistani Siasat Forums, Political News Home » India & International Siyasat All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Share with Friends

rss feed google plus

Daily Siasi Talk Shows

Close x